LI Script has a full disaster plan in place and it works! The disaster and preparedness plan includes staff readiness, off-site server protection as well as Disaster Recovery services through Integra.
During Hurricane Sandy, when other pharmacies were not able to provide services, LI Script was fully functioning. Not only did we provide uninterrupted services to all of our facilities, we were also able to assist other facilities when they could not receive medications from the pharmacy that was supplying them.
Our disaster plan includes off-site servers that are protected in cases like Hurricane Sandy. We also utilize “Disaster Recovery” technology for situations in which lost phone lines would make fax communication impossible. With this technology, when phone lines are down, the faxes are forwarded directly to LI Script’s servers. Most importantly, our generators at the pharmacy function to provide power throughout the entire pharmacy. And since it’s a matter of when, not if, another natural disaster strikes, LI Script is ready, willing and able to service all of our facilities without interruption.
For less severe weather, when disruption of normal service may present, LI Script has a plan in place that includes the following:
- Communication mechanism to keep all pertinent parties in the know.
- Full implementation of Emergency E-Kits Systems.
- Alternate modes of communication.
- Delivery schedules altered to meet facility needs.
- LI Script has a process in place to determine what medications will be re-ordered during the anticipated storm time. Medication will be delivered ahead of the anticipated storm to prevent residents from running out of medications.
- Backup pharmacies are contacted and placed in ‘ready’ mode to satisfy requests if the need arises.
When other Long Term Care pharmacies have not delivered medication in the past, LI Script has always been on the road, so that our facilities do not realize interrupted service. The plans we have in place have worked very well.